Pages

Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Bad Case of the Sundays

"Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday and you're not feeling real well, does anyone ever say to you, "Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays?"
~Peter Gibbons, Office Space~

I am going to throw something out in the universe and I would like to know what you think.

My sense is that if you ask people what their least favorite day of the week is, they won't skip a beat before throwing out "Monday," and with good reason. If you are like most people, I bet you spend the weekend staying out late, sleeping in and generally having a great time shirking responsibility...then Monday comes along like a freight train and ruins it all.

So yeah, I get why people don't like Mondays.

But I would venture to say that nothing is worse than that Sunday-night-feeling. You know the one. That feeling you get in your stomach just after the sun goes down on Sunday night when you look back at your weekend and realize that you didn't accomplish a good half of the things you were supposed to.

I can say with complete confidence that in my life, dreading Monday feels significantly worse than living Monday.

I think it's seeing the whole week stretch out before me that does me in. It tempts me to pull out my master calendar, the one that manages to represent the whole term on one page. Suddenly, Winter Term looks infinitely longer than it did on Friday.
I am never less optimistic than on Sunday nights.

Are you with me on this one? What day finds you at your least optimistic?

Note: I had a mandatory class yesterday (Saturday) from 9am to 5pm and something about an extended school week has resulted in a particularly bad case of the Sundays tonight. Just FYI.

4 comments:

  1. ABSOLUTELY AGREE!!! I hate sunday nights! Definitely my least optimistic day. I feel like I have done nothing I was supposed to this weekend and have no motivation to get started now :( Glad to hear I'm not alone

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!!! I couldn't have said it better. Bob always says his favorite time of the week is getting into bed Friday night, knowing the weekend is ahead, and the worst part of the week is getting into bed Sunday night...knowing Monday morning is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hate, Hate, HATE! the sunday-night feeling. it gives me anxiety.

    booo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100%. Sunday night feelings are WAY worst than actual Mondays. Though to be honest, these days Wednesday night feelings bring more dread. It means I have a full day on campus Thursday and I'd way prefer Sunday nights looking forward to internship the next day. Intership is a happy places with rainbows and butterflies and sometimes cookies! Thursdays are frustrating, challenging and uncertain. Lately I am almost always happiest at 8pm on a Thursday night. It means the crew is coming over to watch Jersey Shore and there's only one more day left to work before the real weekend begins. Praise Thursday evening!

    ReplyDelete