Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Kristi 2.0


In general I am not very festive. I like Halloween because I can use it as an excuse to eat copious amounts of sugar, but I usually opt out of the costuming and revelry that goes with the holiday.

But this year was different.

I have been thinking a lot lately about the person I have become since beginning graduate school. Juggling academics and clinical work has taken a significant toll on me. I have always been a serious student and taken a heavy class load, but my life used to have balance.

In undergrad I worked really hard to excel in my classes, but I found time to hike, dance, rock climb, host game nights, read (fiction!), bake, go to the gym, and practice speaking Italian. When I started grad school I stopped doing almost all of those things. As of now, I haven't taken a dance class in a year and a half. That is the longest break in dancing I have had since I was six. I spent four years learning and perfecting my knowledge of the Italian language, but it has been over 6 months since I have spoken a word of it. And worst of all, as a self-proclaimed book enthusiast, I haven't finished a new piece of fiction in the last 6 weeks.

This year for Halloween I dressed up as Kristi 2.o. At first it was intended to be a joke about how I went as myself but better-groomed (which was true, I even wore make-up and straightened my hair) but it was more than that. Really, Kristi 2.0 is the person I want to be when I don't have to be a graduate student anymore.

When all this madness is over I want to learn how to be myself again.

I am tired of being lame. Nights and weekend should be spent recreating and socializing, like all the gainfully employed people do. They should not be spent practicing my left-handed penmanship or watching trashy television while writing Aphasia midterms, clinic reports or AAC device reviews.

When I graduate and get a job (glory, hallelujah) I am going to spend nights and weekends doing all the things I love that I don't have time for currently, starting with dance, leisure reading and Italian. And when I start to feel like my old self again, I am going to up the ante.

I am going to collect hobbies like some people collect bottlecaps or hotel key-cards.

First, I am going to embrace my Swiss heritage and learn how to play the accordion. That's right, the accordion. I already have a teacher lined up. And once I have progressed to the point where I can play my favorite polka (or at least a decent approximation,) I am going to tackle the cello.

Next, languages. First I am going to learn Spanish (because it is so darn useful I don't think I can avoid it anymore) but then I am going to get crazy with the languages and try my hand at Russian.

In the last week, I have seen two separate individuals reference this particular quote from the book Looking for Alaska by John Green, "If people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane."

I think the universe is trying to speak to me.

Right now I am drizzle, but I swear to you, Kristi 2.0 will be a hurricane.



1/9/11 Update: Read more about my quest for self reinvention here.

9 comments:

  1. Only one more term to go! I'm so proud of all your hard work and I can't wait to come see you soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel you lady. i can't wait to feel alive and balanced again. we can do it

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I am tired of being lame. Nights and weekend should be spent recreating and socializing, like all the gainfully employed people do."

    I am gainfully employed and I do not spend nights recreating and socializing. But I think that is probably because I am mist and not thunder. I need to work on becoming a storm, too.

    Best of luck Hurricane, I know you are one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristi, I'm only in my first term and having similar feelings. I'm still in the phase where I'm trying to fight it, still trying to squeeze in the things that make me who I am (besides school). So part of me is discouraged that it sounds like there's probably no hope for the next two years. I keep hearing that it only gets worse. I don't want to believe that yet. I don't know if you're a procrastinator, you don't seem like the type, but my first lofty goal is quitting that nasty habit in order to free up otherwise perfectly good free time. One of the topics for a seminar class here is actually "work/life balance in the professions." Obviously, we're not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter: Thanks for supporting me. Love you.

    Jamie, Rosi, Liz: I am glad I am not alone in this. It will be worth it in the end, right? Right?!?

    Urs: I think you are the perfect example of a hurricane. I can't wait till we are old and at the swiss shindigs. You will yodel, I will accompany you on the accordion and we will be hurricanes.

    Jo: Perhaps I should have said "like all the gainfully employed people have the option of doing." Because really, Kristi 2.0 probably wouldn't be a hurricane ALL the time...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kris-
    LOVED this post, I want you to come back home so I can join you in some of these adventures !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well...I lost the comment I was about to post. Grr. Basically, it said Ditto! I feel lame much of the time. With Brendon in the ED program and me working on my masters...it doesn't really allow for time to play, be spontaneous...or even work out :( Good luck to both of us on being some kind of intense weather situation :)

    ReplyDelete