Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

False Economy

A few days ago I got a coupon in the mail from Haggen. They just re-vamped the store (they did some great work with the wine section,) and wanted to show off by offering the locals $5 off any $25 purchase and a free gallon of apple juice. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Anyway, this morning I decided to take a break from my AAC final by trudging through the snow (yes, snow!?!?!) to redeem my prize. I had a whole list of items, but as I wandered through the store I decided I didn't need most of them since I will be gone for five days starting Wednesday. By the time I made it to the front I have two packages of butter, english muffins, bananas, apple juice, caramels, delicious nougat candies with green christmas trees in the middle, and hummus. I thought about buying a wedge of brie since I had puff pastry in my freezer (baked brie is delicious) but the least expensive wedge was seven dollars and I was feeling particularly cheap, so I didn't.

However, when I moseyed up to the nine-items-or-less lane with my purchases they totaled a disappointing $20.73. Painfully aware of the two people waiting behind me but determined to redeem my coupon, I cursed myself for passing on the brie. Since there was no time to go back I quickly snagged a copy of People magazine (the Sexiest-Man-Alive edition, conveniently.) When that wasn't enough, I had the clerk grab me a butterfinger and when that wasn't enough I had her grab me two more. So in order to get $5 off my groceries, I spent an impulsive $5 on a People magazine and not one, but three butterfinger bars. I guess that made them free?

Anyway, it was all nonsense and I laughed my way out of the store.

On a side note, the glorious and burly Ryan Reynolds was crowned this years sexiest man alive. He is a special favorite of my friend Kylie so I gifted my virtually free copy of People to her (after I read it of course.)

4 comments:

  1. I must not have been eligible...right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can totally picture you in the checkout line scrambling to spend another $5...hilarious!

    in other news, i feel like i haven't seen you in YEARS! it makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for Haggen's $25 minimum... it meant I got to spend the morning with a cup of hot chocolate and mashmallows reading my previously thumbed copy of People with it's well deserved focus on RyRey!
    J'adore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter: You know you are always SMA in my book ;)

    James: Let's hand out asap.

    Kylie: I am glad you enjoyed the mag.

    Anybody else like how I gave away the magazine but not a one of the three butterfingers? I am so predictable sometimes.

    ReplyDelete